Hi,

I've tried to find out what happened to Midsomer Murders on ITV - and I was able to get some light into the darkness....

At least those of you actually living in the UK have known about BritBox for a while now. The BBC and ITV have co-founded their own streaming platform, and channel 4 have joined them very recently. BritBox UK only started "broadcasting" this month. There are BritBox US and something like BritBox CAN serving north America (both are slightly older than the UK one).

As an incentive and a really nice offer to their new subscribers, BritBox have secured the UK rights of Midsomer Murders as a streaming-only premiere thing, saying that the final two episodes of the series 20 as well as most (all?) of the episodes of the forthcoming series will only be broadcast on ITV One much later (possibly December for the former, later in 2020 for the latter). So, the December date you got for the premiere of series 21 might refer to BritBox rather than "ITV One proper". I wouldn't bet on it being free-to-air. (But I'm not an insider, so let's hope for the best and wait for the December schedule for ITV one to actually contain Midsomer Murders)

As ITV co-produces their series with north American and Australian money, it has long been the case that customers of US and Australian pay-TV broadcasters get the episodes long(-ish) before us here in the UK / Europe. Hence the confusing premiere dates. Currently, they're beating their own record of how large a gap between foreign and home premiere can be. The same has been seen with Endeavour, e.g...

Let's wait and see when we can record and actually watch the final episodes of 20 - and then the whole of 21. Fingers crossed, tea brewed.